Detour 2016

As I had moved to Tennessee for school in the fall of 2016, I wasn’t sure if I could make it back to Chicago for the weekend of Detour. However, I was able to find a bus ticket for $10 leaving Chattanooga on Thursday afternoon and arriving in Chicago early Friday morning. I would be missing a day of classes, but I could live with that.

I arrived in Chicago the weekend after the Cubs had won the World Series (go Cubbies!), and with the parade that day, traffic was horrible. It was a good thing my bus arrived at 5 in the morning, or I might never had made it into the city. I arrived home for the first time that semester, greeted my family, took a nap, and went out to buy a Cubs sweatshirt (there was a line to get into the store). I got back home and spent the rest of the day with my family before I had to leave.

We left Chicago around 3:30 pm, and it took us 5 hours to get to the campground that was 2 hours away. Getting out of Chicago traffic war awful. But it was time to spend with friends I hadn’t seen in over two months, so I didn’t complain.

Get Wacked Dodgeball Tournament

Friday night after the service we had a glow-in-the-dark dodgeball tournament with wacky costumes.

view at breakfast

Saturday after the morning service, we went zip-lining. It was a small course, but still fun.


A couple of friends and I had a small photoshoot, and then it was time for our annual flamingo-football game.

Detour’s Got Talent 2016

Saturday night after the serve we had our annual talent show, and it was so much fun! We had people compete who had never shown off their talents before, and it was amazing to see what they were capable of! It was a blast!

Chicago as seen from the plane

Sunday afternoon, while everyone headed back to Chicago on the bus, I got dropped off at the Kalamazoo airport, where I caught a flight to Chicago, and then back to Chattanooga. That was the only way to find a cheap flight (flying straight out of Chicago on the same flight would have cost 3 times as much). I arrived back in Cleveland right before curfew, and then ended up staying up until 2 am doing laundry. Oh the joys of college life.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s